Audio Technica AT33PTG/II

at33ptg-1.jpg

The Phase Tech P3 cartridge i use in the study has been sent off for a retip so i've moved the Ortofon Cadenza Black out of the lounge and decided to try something new for the main system that wasn't too pricey. Normally i fall back to a Denon DL304, i've had 4 over the years but thought for a change i'd try out the new Audio Technica 33PTG/II. My only other experience of Audio Technica cartridges has been an OC9/II that was as quiet as in the groove, tracked like a champ but had an awful harsh treble in my system that i could never tame so i've shied away from their stuff ever since. Reading about the AT33 though seemed to suggest it had a different tone so thought it worth a go.

It has a reasonable output of .3mv so there's no problems matching it with the Plinius M14 phono stage i use. Tapered boron cantilever, micro linear stylus and a weight of just under 7 g.

It's been in the system for two weeks with a lot of use and is run in nicely and for its price of $580 delivered from Japan it's bloody marvelous. Set up on the SME IV arm was a doddle, tracking is perfect and nothing upsets it and like the OC9 it runs very quietly in the groove. For the first week i was waiting for a bit of shrillness to arrive like the OC9 but it never did and tonally it's pretty much neutral in my set up. It would be interesting to hear it through a tubed phono stage to maybe give it a bit of fullness to the midrange that can be lacking and i'm glad i can go for 470 ohms loading as 100 is rather too polite. The best thing of all to me is the stunning channel separation and excellent balance. Listening to music like Mike Oldfield as i do a great deal with its multi tracking and instruments coming from all over the place and they are in exactly the spot they should be with sounds to the far left and right pushed out right to the very edge of the soundstage so you get a very wide room full of music.

The negatives? Japan only so you can't get one locally and the wiring for the cartridge is the reverse of the SME standard so you have to cross the cartridge wires which makes it a tad fiddly when you don't have a separate headshell but that's all. Build quality is exemplary.

I'm pleased i took a punt, it has paid off.

at33ptg_2.jpg

at33ptg_3.jpg

• Like 3

+ 1 for the write up, and pics

I also had a OC9/II and also found it a bit bright, when it got damaged I sourced also from japan the original AT33PTG which I still have and find it a very nice balanced cartridge.

Cheers,

Gav.

...and the wiring for the cartridge is the reverse of the SME standard so you have to cross the cartridge wires which makes it a tad fiddly when you don't have a separate headshell but that's all. Build quality is exemplary.

I also bought one of these a few months ago. Pretty nice...Not quite sure what you mean about the reversed wiring though. Not saying your wrong, just looking for some clarification...

Cheers

Welly

There is a current review of one of these AT33 variants (the top-of-line EV) in the current (or recent) issue of HFN, as part of a group test. They certainly liked it although stated a preference for the latest OC9 (mk3) that they had previously tested. The group test awards went to a Benz Ace SL and an Ortofon Cadenza Red, which both cost more than the 33's.

Welly,..

I think he means that when he mounted the cart. in his arm the left channel pins of the cart were on the opposite side of the cart to the left channel pins on his headshell/arm & vice versa for the right channel. Or maybe he means the signal & return pins are arse about. Either way, he has had to have the headshell wires crossing to connect up to the correct pins. Your arm may be different so don't be concerned. Some cars are L/hand drive some are R/hand drive, still get the job done.

Anyone know how or where the AT OC9/III fits into this picture? It fits price wise!

Edited by Rockman

Welly,..

I think he means that when he mounted the cart. in his arm the left channel pins of the cart were on the opposite side of the cart to the left channel pins on his headshell/arm & vice versa for the right channel. Or maybe he means the signal & return pins are arse about. Either way, he has had to have the headshell wires crossing to connect up to the correct pins. Your arm may be different so don't be concerned. Some cars are L/hand drive some are R/hand drive, still get the job done.

Anyone know how or where the AT OC9/III fits into this picture? It fits price wise!

Yes, that is correct. It's no big deal and is the way on a fair few cartridges but as for quite a few years now i've been using Ortofon Jubilees or Cadenzas on the SME IV arm which have their cartridge pins from top to bottom rather than side to side, i found it a bit more fiddly than normal as space is tight with the fixed headshell.

I'm interested in where the OC9 fits in as the price difference is not huge which suggests it's a different sound for those that want to take a different route rather than a step up. My OC9/II i had bears no relation sonically to this AT33.

This is going to be my next cart. I currently have an AT OC9/II and its brightness is a great antidote to the Technics SL1210 5MGs slightly closed in sound. I run my cart through a Bob's Devices Cinemag SUT and could not be happier with it, especially its low surface noise. An AT33 PTG/II would be also be a nice compliment, with a more even handed sound signature. I had a Denon DL103R and did not care much for it as it has a bit corse and grainy for me... possibly a poor match with my TT and arm. The AT carts are great performers and are also good value in my book.

Yes, that is correct. It's no big deal and is the way on a fair few cartridges but as for quite a few years now i've been using Ortofon Jubilees or Cadenzas on the SME IV arm which have their cartridge pins from top to bottom rather than side to side, i found it a bit more fiddly than normal as space is tight with the fixed headshell.

I'm interested in where the OC9 fits in as the price difference is not huge which suggests it's a different sound for those that want to take a different route rather than a step up. My OC9/II i had bears no relation sonically to this AT33.

OK. Thanks....

Excellent review thanks

How is mid range?

Neutral, along with the rest of the cartridge. There's certainly no warmth or bloom to the midrange so i could see some people finding it not to their liking. I wouldn't want it with a phono stage where i couldn't play about with the loading. Its loading is recommended at 100 ohms or higher but i found 100 ohms rather bland. Mind you, my Plinius M14 phono stage is not one that emphasises the midrange so through another set up it might well show a sonic difference. I might whack it through the Densen next weekend and see how that sounds.

• 2 months later...

Actually, I have a OC9/III on my PX-2 and the sound is amazing. For me, the best cartridge that I've had (Denon DL-103R, DL-304 and DL-S1, Benz Wood L2 and Ruby III, Ortofon Super OM 30 and Royale SPU...)

But I'd like try on my turntable this new AT-PTG/II with this Micro Line stylus ! The result must be beautiful I think !

My next cartridge will be this reference ! ;-)

• 2 years later...

@@Hergest

Paul do you still own and use this?

Cheers

Hi Shane,

It's my back up cart for when i'm either having a Phase Tech retipped or am waiting for something in the mail. It was last used sometime last year. I still see Juki selling the occasional one at a good price and it makes me think of how good it is for what it costs.

Edited by Hergest
  • Like 1