The Hunger Games

We went the other night to see it at the local Classic Independant.

It was a very very good movie IMO.

Actually felt for the kids, winning a lottery to their death.

Ofcourse certain elements of it were some what questionable but overall worth the price of entry.

G'day,

Looks a tween Logan's Run / Running Man / The Long Walk / Battle Royale / ${genericDystopianFutureBookOrFilm} to me.

Lemme know if it's any good.

--Geoff

You forgot to mention Fifth Element.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was disappointed by the movie. If I had not read the books, the movie would have appeared incomplete as a story telling.

There were a couple scenes that exceeded the book. The scenes with Rue and Foxface were very faithful to the book and well played. They missed Rue's best quote from the book though! The final scene with the games master being my favorite - very poignant.

My main complaint is a complete lack of drama. There were a couple scenes during the games where there was "action" that forced the plot to advance. The pace finally picked up but the momentum was not maintained.

The build up to the story climax at the games end was half baked (pun intended). The "climax" was in fact without any drama. Both actors could have made a better go of it. Josh Hutcherson (Peeta) did a better job in Bridge to Terabithia.

There was no sense of desperation, in the Districts or in the tributes. The gaunt images of an Appalachian community did not portray borderline existence or starvation.

The white uniformed Peacekeepers looked ridiculous.

It was interesting to observe the other cinema patrons. A broad mixture of ages with a substantial group of tweens & teens. There was dead silence for most of the movie and I did note a couple nodding off.

4/10

Edited by MultiplexMan

Twilight is ok. Anything with vampires in it and I'll watch it :)

True Blood fan?

i dunno... looks almost like Narnia'ish to me... not hugely interested... let us know what you think

What makes you say that? I don't get the connection. Except kids in leading roles ...

I wonder if Twilight & movies of its ilk would have been as popular if they were released in a time that didn't have Facebook & Social Networking eg Twitter etc

Just different ways of spreading the hype. I never did get the hype surrounding the series, I didn't mind the series but thought all the hype wasn't justified.

MM,

You're a harsh critic! I saw it at the cinema and while I thought there are things that could have been added, overall I felt it was very well done. I came into it knowing nothing but the blurb, and thought the juxtaposition of elements was interesting. A futuristic world which initially looks more like the depression and at the same time it made me think of gladiator games.

To me it stands out as a movie that you want to see, but I did feel that there is that certain something extra hard to pin down that it could have used. Something hard to define that draws you in more, something that has you connect more with the characters. A big part of the story was the main girl trying to engage sponsors who would ensure her survival. She had a certain "no frills" quality about her - she came across as a "survivor" who might have trouble with the audience being on her side and wanting her to win. She did manage to win support from the sponsors but in terms of the movie audience I don't think her character was the most engaging. In terms of story telling, it was done indirectly and I felt it created some intrigue. They didn't try to explain everything so the audience was left to infer. So if you know nothing of the book, questions like "when is this set?" come to mind. You see impoverished people in old clothes, then suddenly a space ship flies over. Then you start to see a very wealthy dictatorship and a futuristic world with a gigantic gap between the oppresssed poor and the very wealthy powerful elite. As the story unfolds the nature of this world is implied. I like this approach better than more obvious story telling, because it gets you thinking and wondering. For those who have read the book, I suppose it probably doesn't have that intrigue and it's very hard for a movie to live up to it, because in a book you join the author in creating the story in your imagination. Hard to compete with that.

• 4 months later...

out on blu-ray yesterday, and yeah watched yesterday afternoon into the evening. wife wasnt interested, not her kind of thing. I kept an open mind watching it. well made movie excellent PQ. the SQ was tops too. surround effects. the bass was really well done for effect and the canons for instance going off. some stunning scenes with the colours and lighting etc well photographed.

over the story I found it a bit sad and children side I dont understand the writers choosing, could easily have been a young adult or turning of age etc. but I guess pulls at heart strings... but a movie that flowed well. and something would watch again I reckon.

• 2 weeks later...

I bought it on Blu ray last week and re-watched it again on the weekend and thoroughly enjoyed it again. Must be time for a re-read of the books when I'm doing reading the Silmarillion. I'm looking forward to the 2nd and 3rd movies (Catching Fire & Mockingjay) as well. The documentary that accompanies the blu ray was well done too and gives a good insight into the director's vision (I think Gary Ross did a superb job imho).

Dave

Watched last week on iTunes and enjoyed it immensely. Great casting and acting.

Motivated me to start reading the books. Am now halfway through book three and while my interest is waning they have been enjoyable enough. With the same actors I will go and see the follow up movies.

Guest Peter the Greek

Haven't read the book, dvd arrived the other day and I'm watching it to and from work so about half way through it.

I have to say, I am rather impressed. I didn't have high expectations but I'm enjoying it A LOT more than Twilight. No idea how its going to end (well I have some ideas about how they could do it in a sopy tween romanticised manner) but all in all not bad. As far as teen trash goes this is sitting pretty well with me.

Guest Peter the Greek

Finished it last night, I'd like it - 3.5 stars from me.

I pretty much knew the end would be a romeo and juliet ripoff.......still, good nevertheless.

One thing I didn't like is how quickly the big dude was overcome, they hyped that up heaps at the beginning and then he pretty much gives in