SOLD: FS: Classic Gale 401A Chrome End speakers.

Thanks for all the positive input, guys.

Yes, Bear, I think getting proper tubular stands made up locally will be the go. Please let me know if you find the dimensions. I'll definitely have a look through that website though and see if I can find them myself. Then all I need to do is find a local pipe bender who takes pride in their work. :)

Telecine, here are the specs of the TacT amp:

http://www.tactlab.com/Products/S2150/specifications.html

On paper, at least, it would appear to have the capability needed. It does double its output into 4 Ohms and it always runs as cool as.... I'll try to find out what experience people have had in using them with "difficult" loads. My only personal experience with big amps and difficult speakers was the ME 850 with Apogee Centaur Majors. It worked fine and sounded just great, but it kept blowing up every 12 months or so, even after both amplifier modules were replaced by the factory.

The fact that the TacT doesn't raise a sweat under any circumstances encourages me to give it a go, at least initially.

Biologist, I don't think there is any likelihood of me changing my mind unless shipping costs prove prohibitive, which shouldn't be the case. However, speakers are a personal thing and I've never heard them. So, if they happened to be unsuited to my ears or room, I might then look to sell them on. But that would be down the track and I hope it doesn't happen.

Cheers

Tony

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Biologist, I don't think there is any likelihood of me changing my mind unless shipping costs prove prohibitive, which shouldn't be the case. However, speakers are a personal thing and I've never heard them. So, if they happened to be unsuited to my ears or room, I might then look to sell them on. But that would be down the track and I hope it doesn't happen.

Cheers

Tony

Didn't think so, but it was worth a try.

All the best hope you love them!

cheers, :)

Hi Tony . with regard to the amps I am using a Rotel RB1080 with , surprisingly, great sucess , so a 1080 or 1090 should do the job.

As an alternative the Audio-gd power amps are real powerhouses for relatively little money.

As to the stands , I had the Gale stand with my original pair of 401A'S back in the 80's.The aesthetics were spot on and I would love to try a pair under my current Gales but I have a feeling that more rigid stands do a better job.

Congratulations on the purchase , the are a truley amazing speaker, just be prepared to spend a bit of time setting them up as they are very sensitive to positioning if you want to get the best out of them.

Stands shoud have a top plate that is 500mm from the floor when the speakers are mounted correctly ie horizontally .

Edited by ozcal

Thanks for all the positive input, guys.

Yes, Bear, I think getting proper tubular stands made up locally will be the go. Please let me know if you find the dimensions. I'll definitely have a look through that website though and see if I can find them myself. Then all I need to do is find a local pipe bender who takes pride in their work. :)

Telecine, here are the specs of the TacT amp:

http://www.tactlab.com/Products/S2150/specifications.html

On paper, at least, it would appear to have the capability needed. It does double its output into 4 Ohms and it always runs as cool as.... I'll try to find out what experience people have had in using them with "difficult" loads. My only personal experience with big amps and difficult speakers was the ME 850 with Apogee Centaur Majors. It worked fine and sounded just great, but it kept blowing up every 12 months or so, even after both amplifier modules were replaced by the factory.

The fact that the TacT doesn't raise a sweat under any circumstances encourages me to give it a go, at least initially.

Cheers

Tony

Tony,

I think that you might be breaking new ground with the Tact amp. I will be very interested to hear how you go.

The specs look ok as far as they go. It would be interesting to know how it went with a 2ohm load but I think that you might be about to find out.

Hi Tony . with regard to the amps I am using a Rotel RB1080 with , surprisingly, great sucess , so a 1080 or 1090 should do the job.

Gordon,

Not so surprising really. I used to own a Rotel RB 1080 and I think that you could drive an nail through concrete with one. It is an underrated amp in my opinion, hard to beat at the price point.

Hi Tele , my suprise came from the fact that the 1080 seemed to struggle to drive my previous B&W 703'S but works a treat with the Gales

Interestingly the design of the 1080 is based around Stan Curtis's work for Rotel and the amp that drove my original pair of Gales ,the Mission 772 was also designed by the same chap.

Hi Tele , my suprise came from the fact that the 1080 seemed to struggle to drive my previous B&W 703'S but works a treat with the Gales

Interestingly the design of the 1080 is based around Stan Curtis's work for Rotel and the amp that drove my original pair of Gales ,the Mission 772 was also designed by the same chap.

Interesting Gordon because I thought that the RB 1080 actually drove my B&W 803's quite well.

I found the sound just a bit lifeless with the RB1080 on it's own.I passively bi-amped the 703's with my Yam M60 on the top and mids and the 1080 doing bass duties and found this to work well.

I initially drove the Gales with the M60 as I found it to be a more musical sounding amp than the 1080 but it ceased to function after a few months.

I popped the 1080 back into the mix and ended up with a much more balanced sound compared to the M60. I had made a number of capacitor changes to both my pre and dac while using the M60 so I guess this allowed the 1080 to perform at it's best.

Bottom Line is , as you say, the 1080 is a very underated amp.

• 2 weeks later...

Now sold, thanks for the interest.

Cheers, flemo.

Yes, massive thanks Flemo.:)

My listening so far has horrified me.......

.....with the thought of "what would I do if anything happened to these?":(

I've expended a lot of time and money and tears over the decades chasing elusive audio dreams. Without doubt, these speakers are one of the biggest steps forward I've ever taken. Not dissing the modified Klipsch Belle/TacT combo that will continue to live in the family room - just a different sound with a different set of strengths and weaknesses.

But the Gales add something I've ever heard at home before. Ozcal, Rantan and the others were just so right.:)

I'll post some piccies and listening impressions soon.

Thanks again, flemo

Cheers

Tony

After this photo in the 'sumptuous speakers' thread, those Gales were always going to fly out the door! :)

The irony here is I have 3 more sets of Gale speakers and they don't look anything close to those wonderfull 'sumptuous speakers'!!

Yes, massive thanks Flemo.:)

My listening so far has horrified me.......

.....with the thought of "what would I do if anything happened to these?":(

I've expended a lot of time and money and tears over the decades chasing elusive audio dreams. Without doubt, these speakers are one of the biggest steps forward I've ever taken. Not dissing the modified Klipsch Belle/TacT combo that will continue to live in the family room - just a different sound with a different set of strengths and weaknesses.

But the Gales add something I've ever heard at home before. Ozcal, Rantan and the others were just so right.:)

I'll post some piccies and listening impressions soon.

Thanks again, flemo

Cheers

Tony

Congrats Tony and welcome to the club :)

The Gales ,as you are experiencing , are a very special speaker.

There is something just right about the sound. Few speakers are as coherent from top to bottom and tonally well balanced.

All the best,

Gordon

Congrats Tony and welcome to the club :)

The Gales ,as you are experiencing , are a very special speaker.

There is something just right about the sound. Few speakers are as coherent from top to bottom and tonally well balanced.

All the best,

Gordon

Amen to that. Good to hear they're doing it for you Tony. Enjoy!

Hi Tony et al,

Just want to add my congrats on the Gales :)

Have heard Bear's on a good few occasions now and must admit that every time I do, and regardless of what's playing, I can't help but think, "I've gotta get me a pair of these!"

There's something that's just so right about them.

Cheers, Dave :)

Tony,

Well done on the Gales.They are a bargain at that sort of money.Especially considering the restoration work done on them.

I keep coming back to the Gales.They are so rare in the speaker world in not sounding like boxes.They just play music.

My hunch is they achieve this through combining a highly damped enclosure and a very high ratio of driver surface area to box volume.Obviously the crossover design has to be good too.They are also brilliant speakers at allowing you to follow a tune.

They love a good valve preamp.

Thanks everyone.:)

Yes, I will post pics etc soon - just moved from my "list of things to do" to my "list of things to really do ASAP" ;)

Grumps, The Gales have already replaced the Rogers in the "study". The poor little LS3/5a's are sulking in a corner ATM, but they'll find their own spot soon. Ozcal's comment about the Gales being like 3/5a's with bass seems so true and it's great to enjoy what I was missing with them. Looking forward to catching up soon.:)

Cheers

Tony

• 10 months later...
  • Administrator

Congratulations on the sale of your item. If you feel you have benefited from using this system for the sale of an item through our classifieds system then please consider making a donation.

Donation Payment Options

You can make a donation via Paypal (using Credit Card or Paypal Balance), or Direct Deposit.

Click below to make a donation:

donate-button.png

Thank you, your support is appreciated and every dollar makes a difference.