Technics Turntables Owners Thread

Panasonic is going to re release the sl1200.

First in a special limited edition sl1200gae, only 1200 will be made.

Then followed with the sl1200g.

No idea how much they are going to put in production.

http://www.theverge.com/2016/1/5/10718234/technics-sl1200-sl1200g-sl1200gae-turntable-new-models-announced-release-date-ces-2016

Prices are not yet available, wonder how much it will be.

Maybe $1200??

was it ever dead ...I always recall options of buying models based on it ?

Most of the recent clones are made by Hanpin, the only similarity is the aesthetics, it pale in comparison to the originals in terms of specs.

I don't expect these to be an $800 dollar turntable like the sl1200mk2 was though.

It's being marketed as an audiophile turntable , so will most likely have audiophile pricing.

New brass /aluminium/rubber three layer platter is interesting as is the new dd motor design and magnesium tonearm of the limited edition version.

6kg heavier than a mk2 as well ,weighing in at 18kg.

Better than a sl1000mk2 :-)

I bet technics are kicking themselves for shutting down production in the first place

Maybe.....they are claiming SP10 MK2 type quality.

Doubt the arm would be up to the level of an EPA 100 though.

Spoke to Store dj this morning and they said they will try to get them as soon as available ....no word of course yet , on pricing .

• Like 1

Sooooo... Take THE everymans table, THE champion of the vinyl format - the one that kept spinning, absolutely rocksteady at 33 & a 1/3 when everyone else had slunk off to buy & sell those little silver discs - and discontinue it right at the advent of a huge surge in vinyl sales/interest while declaring the format dead...

Six years later, dust off the brand name, redesign the very things that made it the 'table it was (while keeping the name recognition and the aesthetic) and price it stratospherically high, ensuring it is well and truly out of reach of the guy in the bedroom, the guy in the garage, the guy in the club that made this table the iconic legend it is - not to mention helped keep the format alive - thus making this resurgence (and the cash cow that it is) possible...?

Have I missed anything?

;)

Heathen

Edited by Hi-Fi heathen
  • Like 9

It will all depend on the asking price.

That will say more then enough.

If the asking price is close to 2k then they are clearly in it for the money.

And in that case they are doomed to fail.

Too high for a 'dj turntable'.

If the asking price is more like 1k then it could become very interesting.

It will be a direct competition between the pioneer.

A side by side comparison will be very interesting.

I do like the idea of a high end version of the 1200 but only if it's 1 out of multiple models to choose from.

• Like 1

Make me a down spec poor man's model and I'll think about it.  In the meantime anyone that's going to pay thousands for a TT prob has a decent one already.

Edited by E.Man

The technics SL1210M5G was $1599 here.

Although they look superficially similar these new Grand Class models are a complete ground up redesign.

No mention yet of wow and flutter measurements or if they are made in Japan , but for sure they will be significantly more expensive than the 1210M5G.

I am a bit confused. Is this new reiteration based on the new technology they showed us last year or just a rehash of the sl1200 at a higher price? It would seem not.

I wonder if Hanpin will manufacture the new sl1200 :P

new_dd.jpg

technicsturntable.jpg?itok=Hm9FKbCN

Yeah. ..it's the new tech coreless dd motor , new 3 layer brass /aluminium/rubber platter.

Better damped plinth ,better bearing etc etc ...and a magnesium arm on the limited GAE version.

Made by Hanpin ?....wouldn't that be a hoot !!