Ok, so I admit, I watch it

I like it, to a point. Its the only reality show where they dont seem to belittle the participants. Even when they loose and get booted, they do it with some grace.

I see it as a plain competition where they do show some sportsmanship when someone comes second.

On the down side, the pump the ad's (to be expected I guess) but I hate the bit where Johnny burnt his hand, they go to an ad, then come back with Johnny burnt his hand.

Am I A) that dumb I need to see it again, or B) have that short an attention span....

Good way to 'pad" a show out I guess. Stretch 45mins into 75 mins (ad's plus recaps)

I also dont like it when they say it finishes at 8.30 and we all know it goes to 8.45. 

I like what the shows about and I like to gather techniques (that I often forget, lol) I like the way the hosts do the show, but I hate the padding.

• Like 1

I heard an interview with Matt Preston where he said the do what they think fit, regardless of how the producers try to influence their choices.

But I've noticed if you look hot or sexy, or hipster, you have a better chance.

that might just be me though...

Guest Sime

Yeah, that's just you, best remember, that's most younger people now anyway.

I want the Curry lady to win.

Edited by Sime

Enjoying it much more this year. For a few years, I'd just watch the mystery box and invention test shows and then ignore it until Masterclass on Fridays. But we've been tuning in a bit more recently. Much more interested in some of the techniques (which they don't go into enough, so you have to guess and then look it up in Larousse or some other book) than in the personalities, but I'll admit that if Marco likes the stuff Nidhi is making, then she has to be one of my favourites...

Guest Sime

Ahh she'll fail for sure. Pasta had her stumped last night, so.......

Anyway, who goes on this show without firstly mastering Pasta, pastry, tempered chocolate, risotto, quinelling (sp) etc.

You know your going to have to make that stuff at some point, so practice before you enter lol

Ahh she'll fail for sure. Pasta had her stumped last night, so.......

Anyway, who goes on this show without firstly mastering Pasta, pastry, tempered chocolate, risotto, quinelling (sp) etc.

You know your going to have to make that stuff at some point, so practice before you enter lol

I think there's a fairly big gap between being chosen (initial weeding, then the one hour dish) and starting with the top 24.

Guest Sime

I think there's a fairly big gap between being chosen (initial weeding, then the one hour dish) and starting with the top 24.

What do you mean exactly?

Y0u mean the once the 24 are chosen, there's a gap in production?

Edited by Sime

Great thread, I really enjoy the show for most of the reason stated above by @@darth vader

The only thing I find slightly irritating is the background music always trying to manipulate the mood. Jesus, sometimes it sounds like I am watching war scene on Saving Private Ryan! I wonder what the show would be like if it didn't have the overbearing background score.

But yeah, I love it. No time for the manufactured personality clash crap of MKR.

What do you mean exactly?

Y0u mean the once the 24 are chosen, there's a gap in production?

I believe there's the initial auditions, where you present a dish and speak to a panel. If you get past that...

Then you go and chat to the producers. If you get past that...

You get to prepare a single dish for some judges (possibly the judges). If you get past that...

You're in the top 50 or so, where you may have to do various things to make the top 24. Somewhere around the choosing of the Top 50 and the Top 24 going on to the show, you are able to get some training on areas like presentation, or pasta, or whatever. At least, that's what happens in the UK version. And there's a big gap between the selections starting and the end of the show 6 months production time, but only about 11? weeks on TV.

From one 'secrets' page:

The competitors are given cooking classes

Multiple times per week during production, the would-be MasterChef’s are given cooking classes by professionally trained chefs. The classes cover everything from the basics in the kitchen—such as how to cook risottos, chop up food safely, bake a pie, etc.—to some pretty specific skills, such as how to best cook a lobster or how to poach an egg. Although the classes can help, contestants have revealed while they learn the basic skills necessary to do the challenges in the classes, they aren’t a substitute for skill and some cooking common sense.

Guest Sime

Yes, I understand that, but my original comment was based on a common sense logic that you would have those skills down pat, because one may have watched past series, before clicking on the competition entry button online :)

My pet peeve about all these shows is the use of present tense when they cut to the contestants describing (obviously after the fact) what they were doing.  Yeah, I know it's supposed to make us viewers feel like we're in the moment, but frankly it's just a little insulting...

My pet peeve about all these shows is the use of present tense when they cut to the contestants describing (obviously after the fact) what they were doing.  Yeah, I know it's supposed to make us viewers feel like we're in the moment, but frankly it's just a little insulting...

I actually like that, sometimes. Most of the time it's just pap, used to pad out the show.

But sometimes you're going "WTF did they do that?"...

and the comment bar chimes in with the contestant going "I did this because..."

But mostly I agree with you. And in that cooking at home show, I totally agree with you!

I actually like that, sometimes. Most of the time it's just pap, used to pad out the show.

But sometimes you're going "WTF did they do that?"...

and the comment bar chimes in with the contestant going "I did this because..."

But mostly I agree with you. And in that cooking at home show, I totally agree with you!

I actually don't mind the commentary but wish they would just say "I DID that" rather than "I'm DOING this"

Grumpy old fart krebetman

• Like 1

Yeh.

The cutaways and reactions/comments has always bugged me the most with any kind of show like this.

My partner likes to watch these shows (more for the food than the drama) as she's a bit of a "foodie" as they say.

I usually glance at them over the iPad with my headphones on.

:P

And make some smart remark about how fake and scripted it is...

Hehe

Can't stand that George fella.

Makes me wanna throw stuff at the TV.

The other bloke seems alright and Matt Preston is hilarious.

I'd love to have a beer with him.

If you want a funny cooking show, check out Cutthroat Kitchen on Food Network.

;)

If you want a funny cooking show, check out Cutthroat Kitchen on Food Network.

;)

"No Reservations" gets my vote. Man that Tony guy can put it away! And he can eat heaps also!!! Nice to have it on every night at 9:30

• Like 1

"No Reservations" gets my vote. Man that Tony guy can put it away! And he can eat heaps also!!! Nice to have it on every night at 9:30

Not seen it, will have a look

:)

Not seen it, will have a look

:)

And if you get a chance to see any show with José Andrés in it, worth a look. He's good (worked at El Bulli under Adrià) and he's a great presenter also.

And that guy who eats disgusting food. Can't remember the name of the show, or the guy, but he is one of natures iron men!

Edited by Cloth Ears

And that guy who eats disgusting food. Can't remember the name of the show, or the guy, but he is one of natures iron men!

Bizarre Foods with Andrew Zimmern?

Bald fella

(Maybe not....he's not really an iron man :unsure: )

Anyway

Most of the stuff he eats seems very interesting and tasty.

Apart from any sort of raw oyster/mussel/mollusk/sea slug.....

post-145321-0-75114900-1462941532_thumb.

Edited by Dirty_vinylpusher

Guest Sime

I look forward to the team challenge tonight, always good to see someone put their hand up claiming an expertise in something, only to fall flat on their face, while Marco watching.

Good tv :)