My plasma is dying [emoji27]

My Pana TH-50pv60a is on its way out... Bugger

The Analogue tuner went to its grave by technology. All was good just using it as monitor via my Denon 4308. TiVo, Roku, HD and oppo 105.

Now it's got the flickers at random and the screen goes blank...

Firstly thought it was a HDMI cable, then tried the other input with no success. Looked at all the settings with all devices all seem OK...

Was hoping to get a little bit more out of it until the new TVs come out later in the year...

I was hoping to go to a 65" oled but died when i saw the prices. So might have to stay at 50" or so.. I was hoping to get one that was HDR compliant to at least some future proofing... But it apparently is not quite with us yet...

I've look at the other threads here. Any other thoughts before I journey down to HN to look?

Rabbit Boy seems happy with the LG55910T in one thread

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have a mint condition Panna 58, last of the Japanese made ones, low hours, could be prized off me for a reasonable figure  :P

it is 65Kg  :D + the base

I have bought two TV's from Graysonline. One was LCD another a Plasma. For one I had to organise my own courier, that cost me $100 from Sydney to Grafton. If you are careful you can still score a bargain.

Friend of mine in Adelaide bought a 65 inch 4K Sony that was $4.5K or so for $2.5K at HN about two weeks ago.

I have a mint condition Panna 58, last of the Japanese made ones, low hours, could be prized off me for a reasonable figure :P

it is 65Kg :D + the base

And I suppose you live close to the North Pole too. [emoji3]

either a 2nd hand plasma....or pick an oled 55" will be quite pleased.

brother in law was having some reception trouble and got told his tv was too old so replaced the old hitachi plasma with a new panasonic 55" LED back lit lcd...ofcourse didnt fix the reception problem and not very happy with the picture of the lcd tv. any surprise ! 

there a lot of rubbish out there ! 

thanks Guys for the input.

Went to HN yesterday and looked around... Oled would be good but I do want to future proof myself a little bit if I can... 

Not just with the screen but with future (call it) formats like 4K and HDR, which I believe are going to be introduced soon... from the research I have done for at least the HDR, I need a HMDI 2a ability on the TV... 

so I need to find out what TVs have this feature and might just compromise a little on picture quality... From reading Whirlpool last night I discovered that the newer LG oled 55EG960T has it. It might have been my choice but at $4,500 approx, it's too much..Like the 55EG910T but its not 4K and doesn't have the HDMI 2a...

Now I know that there is discussion regarding whether these formats are needed eg for viewing distance etc.. I understand that. I recently connected to Telstra cable with a high limit and have Netfilx.. Just running HD atm but with the ability to go higher... Buying now, the TV will be with us for a long time.

I was wanting to go to a 65" TV if I can. oled might have to be ruled out. So does anybody know which other TVs have the HDMI 2a input ability? I'm looking aqt spending around $3,500 or there abouts. Hope the wife doesn't read this. :)

Thanks

• Like 1

Guest rmpfyf

My Pana TH-50pv60a is on its way out... Bugger

The Analogue tuner went to its grave by technology. All was good just using it as monitor via my Denon 4308. TiVo, Roku, HD and oppo 105.

Now it's got the flickers at random and the screen goes blank...

Firstly thought it was a HDMI cable, then tried the other input with no success. Looked at all the settings with all devices all seem OK...

Was hoping to get a little bit more out of it until the new TVs come out later in the year...

I was hoping to go to a 65" oled but died when i saw the prices. So might have to stay at 50" or so.. I was hoping to get one that was HDR compliant to at least some future proofing... But it apparently is not quite with us yet...

I've look at the other threads here. Any other thoughts before I journey down to HN to look?

Rabbit Boy seems happy with the LG55910T in one thread

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Not fixable? Mightn't be a dud panel, prolly worth a second look.

Very prolly worth a second look if you're happy with it. 

thanks Guys for the input.

Went to HN yesterday and looked around... Oled would be good but I do want to future proof myself a little bit if I can... 

Not just with the screen but with future (call it) formats like 4K and HDR, which I believe are going to be introduced soon... from the research I have done for at least the HDR, I need a HMDI 2a ability on the TV... 

so I need to find out what TVs have this feature and might just compromise a little on picture quality... From reading Whirlpool last night I discovered that the newer LG oled 55EG960T has it. It might have been my choice but at $4,500 approx, it's too much..Like the 55EG910T but its not 4K and doesn't have the HDMI 2a...

Now I know that there is discussion regarding whether these formats are needed eg for viewing distance etc.. I understand that. I recently connected to Telstra cable with a high limit and have Netfilx.. Just running HD atm but with the ability to go higher... Buying now, the TV will be with us for a long time.

I was wanting to go to a 65" TV if I can. oled might have to be ruled out. So does anybody know which other TVs have the HDMI 2a input ability? I'm looking aqt spending around $3,500 or there abouts. Hope the wife doesn't read this. :)

Thanks

I've seen 55" oleds going for under $3k (the probably superseded model not that the newer one is greatly different. hn are not really a good place to check out pricing..... places like jb hifi good guys etc are much better. though hn will usually price match.

honestly with size screens you are looking at things like 4k are a complete non event. though understand your need to have the latest from a hdmi point of view.

definitely go quality over size. please. the bigger a tv is just more obvious its faults will be over time. 

Not fixable? Mightn't be a dud panel, prolly worth a second look.

Very prolly worth a second look if you're happy with it.

It's finding someone in Adelaide who could look at it, might be the problem. I'll have to do some research.

I've seen 55" oleds going for under $3k (the probably superseded model not that the newer one is greatly different. hn are not really a good place to check out pricing..... places like jb hifi good guys etc are much better. though hn will usually price match.

honestly with size screens you are looking at things like 4k are a complete non event. though understand your need to have the latest from a hdmi point of view.

definitely go quality over size. please. the bigger a tv is just more obvious its faults will be over time.

You could very well be right about screen size as there's a lot of discussion online about the topic.

Just thought with Netflix and the ability I have to stream at high speeds, I would be able to see in my home environment if it was any good. ATM it's only online research and reviews that I can go by.

The only 55" oled that has the ability for HDR is the latest, EF950 @ $4,500. That's about $1,000 over any budget I have.

I'd definitely shop around.

Guest rmpfyf

It's finding someone in Adelaide who could look at it, might be the problem. I'll have to do some research.

May be worth it, let us know how you go.

Unless the panel's stuffed (which it mightn't be), they're not typically difficult to repair. There's a few PCB's on the back, done (expensively) it's a matter of finding out which one's gone sour and ordering a replacement - usually 2 hours work and the board (up to $250 trade + margin for a new one, there's a few sites locally that list spares for your model). Sometimes you get a bit lucky and spot a cap that's well past prime and that's it, otherwise, it's typical to just replace complete boards.

Of course, if what you really want is a new TV, this is understandable  :D

• 2 weeks later...

@@Kensell21 - how'd you end up?

Hi,

ATM the old girl is still going. The plasma that is.... Still love the plasma picture quality.

Had a look at Costco with not much success.

Will be doing more looking at the weekend.. I also started another thread, asking about the possibility of a projector rather than a TV..

I've only used my TV as a monitor.... If that doesn't work out, thinking it would be nice to have a bigger screen eg 75" would be nice.

Guest rmpfyf

There's a very nice B&O 65" 1080p plasma for sale on eBay. Asking $3750, probably less if you don't want a centre speaker or soundbar. Pana-based. As good as you'll get. 

Keen to hear whether it could or couldn't get fixed. There's something special about a plasma.

When my Samsung Plasma died I did a bit of research and was quite surprised how 'OEM' all the parts were. There were basically 3 types of board at the back, and $50 new board later fixed it!

http://fixedmyself.blogspot.com.au/2013/10/samsung-ps43d450a2m-plasma-tv-clicking.html

And yes, as much as I like to browse in Harvey Norman looking at the big LCDs I just love the picture of Plasmas. And OLED once I can afford them! :)

• Like 1

The cheapest OLED one is still $2.8k so I'd wait for 2 years until it drops to $1.5k ish

http://www.harveynorman.com.au/tv-blu-ray-home-theatre/tvs/tvs/lg-55-full-hd-oled-3d-capable-smart-curved-tv-2.html

Full HD is more than enough for me. I don't think TV and Kodi will stream 4k anytime soon!

Not really sure about the curve though. Flat seems better.

lg_tv3.jpg

is it an option to go super cheap led and wait for the flat screen oled latter this year or next year?  the OLED would still need to be in the 55 size range for budget.

I know i'd settled for a smaller tv with PQ the most important aspect for me.

If I took that up, my wife might think it's a good enough picture and we'd have it for the next ten years. [emoji31]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yes just keep showing her prices for  $10k plus OLEDs and the like so anything you get after that is a rip roaring bargain :D 

If you must buy now then you will need to look at Samsung JS9000 or JS8000.  Samsung will be brighter than LG but it does not necessarily means an advantage but Samsung can cover around 92% of PC3 colour space compare to just under 90% with the LG Oled.   I still prefer plasma because it has deeper black than LED and the colour reproduction on plasma is still more natural than boht LED and OLED.